The Ultimate Travel Check List
**This post contains affiliate links. Please see the disclosure.
If you’re like me, you like to travel.
A lot a lot.
Fortunately, I have a bit of OCD which really helps me ensure I pack all the essentials I need for any trip! I’ve done day trips to being away for a month, and I treat it almost the same (with a few minor tweaks if I’m gone for a longer period of time).
- The Number One Thing You NEED to do Before Traveling Overseas
- A Traveller’s Guide to Eating in Japan
- Why Boracay is one of my favorite beaches
- Why You Should NEVER Travel Withouth Travel Insurance
- Top 5 sites to get great deals on travel
I’ve compiled my list to help you with your future travels so you can make sure you don’t forget anything. You can also download this list at the end of this post!
What are you putting everything in?
You’ll need to start by choosing what you’ll be putting all your packed items in!
- Main luggage
- Carry on
- Toiletries bag – The bag in the link comes with SO MANY extras
- Packing cubes – I SWEAR by these and they make world of difference when organizing your things.
- Ziplock bags – Also in addition to packing cubes! When I travel next, you will see how everything is in some sort of bag. It helps to group things together! You know how messy your clothes get when you get to your hotel, everything moves around.
What will you wear?
I always pack 2 days extra of clothes when travelling, or if I’m gone for longer than one week (as I’d be doing laundry), I’d pack enough for 9 days.
- Sweater / jacket
- Underwear + Socks
- Long sleeve shirt(s) – may need only one if you’re going somewhere hot!
- Short sleeve shirts
- One set of formal wear – especially if you’re going to a resort/cruise, some of their restaurants require formal wear to enter
- Sandals, runners, formal shoes
- Bathing suit
- Bathing suit cover up
Things from your bathroom for your toiletries bag
This list is always the longest – you never really realize how many things you use from your bathroom until you have to pack it all
- (If this applies) Feminine hygiene products
- Shampoo & conditioner
- Shaving gel
- Tooth brush & tooth paste
- Make up
- Contacts & solution
- Hair brush & products (gel, hair spray, etc)
- Sun screen
- Nail clipper & tweezers
- Eye drops (With my experience in the Ophthalmology industry, please stay away from Visine)
First aid & medications
When you least expect it, you will need it. So even pack the essentials, you never know!
- Pain relievers (Tylenol, Advil, etc)
- Motion sickness reliever
- Sunburn treatment
- Mini first aid kit OR
- Bandaids, gauze, antibacterial gel/cream, wound dressing
- *IMPORTANT – any required vaccines of your area of travel
What are you bringing with you on the plane?
Your flight might be anywhere from 1 hour to 18 hours – I just know, with only being provided with the essentials from the flight attendants, it gets very boring and very scarce quick.
- Hand sanitizer
- Baby wipes (I always have a pack in my purse)
- Travel tooth brush & tooth paste – since it gets so dry up there, my breath, and well, mouth gets really gross by the end of the flight
- Empty water bottle – for when you’re past security. It gets dry up there!
- Travel pillow
- Travel journal & pen OR
- Pen & paper – you might need to fill out declaration forms while on the plane, or write anything else important that you’ll need throughout your travel
- Guide books
These will go on your personal bag and/or carry on
- Cash/travellers cheque
- Credit card
- ID (in addition to passport)
- Health insurance card/information
- Travel insurance card/information
- Hotel information
- Flight itineraries
- Copies of all the above just incase you lose/misplace something
Before you leave home
- Find someone to house sit
- Pre-pay bills
- Go through the refrigerator and throw out items that may spoil
- Store valuables
- Leave spare keys with a friend
- Leave contact, flight, and accomodation info with a friend
And last but not least…
Check in early to save time and hassle at the airport. You can normally do this up to 24 hours before departure.
That’s it and that’s all folks! It’s a pretty extensive list but it has ensured me to have smooth travels without having to pay premiums at my destination, or not being able to find what I need.
Have a great trip!
Dowload this list today!
Get it straight to your inbox and have it handy when you're packing!